Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Tuesday, April 7, 2015

April, Come She Will

Looks like I've made it to spring break! Steve planned a weekend away to help me de-stress, knowing that going away at the beginning of the week is much better than going away the weekend before going back to work. He booked us a cabin at Staunton River State Park and the weather was perfect. I think this picture of us is my favorite:

The cabin's large deck overlooked the river, and provided the perfect place to sit and read, which is what we did for at least half of our time. I read Things Fall Apart, Paper Towns, and An Abundance of Katherines, all school related books, and all enjoyable.

The light was simply gorgeous. We did manage to go hiking on Sunday, and saw a couple of snakes, as well as a few deer.

 

 

 

The peace and quiet was amazing, wonderful, and so restful.

On our drive home on Monday, we stopped at Appomattox Courthouse, unaware that this is the week of the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War. Luckily, the crowds hadn't shown up yet, but they were preparing for a big event.

 

Isn't the sky beautiful? Hard to imagine how many lives were lost on these fields.

 

We also spent some time relaxing in a lovely coffee shop in Farmville, and all in all, enjoyed the drive back almost as much as the weekend itself.

I spent time running errands with my mom this morning, and my daughter this afternoon, so I'm hoping to stay home tomorrow and do some stuff around the house, including planting some herbs and flowers in pots for our deck, and swapping out my winter clothes for spring and summer stuff. It already feels like the week is slipping by too fast, but isn't that always the way? Enjoy your week, whatever your plans are.

 

3 comments:

  1. What a perfect getaway! Relaxing is so important at this time of year.
    All three of those books are on my list of things I should read, so I'm glad to hear they are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That husband of yours is a keeper, what a great trip.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful setting for a retreat! Restful, relaxing, and surrounded by Nature--what a lovely way to spend your break.

    NEO's Spring is, as usual, dawdling. We are getting glimpses of warmth, but they are fleeting. My snow shovel is still sitting out, now mainly to ward off any flurries. (It's an old, old NEO Voodoo tradition.) My chives and tarragon have started to come up, so I've got some work to do once the rain stops coming in sheets and fits.

    Gird those Loins for the remainder of the school year! Never let 'em see you sweat.

    ReplyDelete